You all know that you have experienced it. It doesn’t even matter what your age is, there are moments you begin to ponder what on earth you are doing with your life. For me, these thoughts have been creeping in my mind routinely the last couple of weeks.
I am not sure if it is because I work with college-age individuals or because I’m in my 30s, but there are moments I wake up wondering what on earth I’m doing with my life. Whether I have missed God’s call, or living in the wrong city, or living in the right city but in the wrong way… You get the picture. I feel like the little boy who couldn’t decide which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle he liked best. (Leonardo… NO, Raphael)
But here are some questions I ask myself when I begin to feel this way. If you are single, the first two may not apply to you immediately, but think those two in terms of relationship with those around you, or think of them in future ways.
So – 7 questions I ask myself when I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing with my life:
1. Am I loving my wife in tangible ways, not just internal ways?
2. Am I present with the kids – OR – am I on the floor playing with the kids?
3. Am I making any disciples?
4. Am I living like a missionary?
5. Am I trusting God’s providence above my performance?
6. Am I obeying what I know or looking for something new?
7. Am I seeking first His Kingdom and His righteousness?
After reflecting on these questions, I sit back and tackle the very things that are right in front of me rather than be consumed with the myriad of things I can not control. Don’t let your unbelief fuel your day, rather believe that God is faithfully present in your day! Now, go and be present wherever God has planted you, using whatever he has given you for his glory… and repent when you have not.